Problems I wish I'd composed
Unfortunately, I arrived to composition too late. About 100 years too late. It is very rare to compose a completely original idea or theme, especially in a two move problem. One can only hope to find a neat rendering of an old idea. Here are some problems (two movers and other genres) that I wish I had composed when the idea would have been fresh.
Checking keys are considered crude. The great Comins Mansfield never composed a problem with a checking key. Sometimes they are justified by great economy or surprise effects. Here are some of my favorite checking key problems starting out with one of my own.
Welcome to 2016! A problem in which every black move has set mate (or continuation to mate in #3 or more) is called a complete block problem. To solve the problem one can look for a waiting move that holds all of these mates. Sometimes this is not possible and the key must change some of the mates. If the key does not carry a threat then the problem is called a mutate (see the Change Waiters post on 9/18/15). If the key carries a threat then the problem is called a block threat. Block threat problems are somewhat rare problems.
On the side I like to dabble in chess problem composition. I am mostly interested in two and three move direct mates. I hope to convey the beauty and logic of chess problems with this blog. In the entries are some of my favorite problems and my own problems. Before looking at the problems I suggest reading this introduction to the chess problem world by the British Chess Problem Society. Also, here is a list of terminology and themes. Here is a link to my problems on yacpdb.
1. "Choose wisely" The Problemist Supplement, Sept. 2016
2. "Double checking white in a two mover" StrateGems July 2016
3. "Double check without capture" The Problemist Supplement, January 2018
4. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part I" The Problemist Supplement, March 2018
5. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part II" The Problemist Supplement, May 2018
6. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part III" The Problemist Supplement, July 2018
7. "Castling with half-battery and Fleck themes" StrateGems, July 2018
8. "The Baku Nowotny" StrateGems, January 2019
9. "The Romanian Nowotny with Fleck" The Problemist, March 2019
10. "Mirror Image" The Problemist Supplement, May 2019
11. "White King in Check" Problemas, July 2019
12. "A Simple Mechanism", StrateGems, July 2019
13. "Miniatures with castling and (partial) Fleck" Problemist Supplement, September 2019
14. "Taking the Straitjacket off the Fleck" The Problemist Supplement, November 2019
15. "Unforced threats" The Problemist Supplement, May 2020
16. "Ojanen in Miniature" The Problemist Supplement, May 2020
17. "Developments in the Finnish Nowotny" The Problemist, July 2020
18. "Categorising the Fleck theme" The Problemist, January 2021
19. "Masking the Bristol" The Problemist Supplement, March 2021
20. "My love of the Novotny" StrateGems July 2021
21. "Masked Novotny" The Problemist Supplement, November 2021