Changing a Check
Checks on the wK are always of interest in a two mover. Recently I have been exploring an idea that changes a set capture reply to a check by exploiting a self-pin. Specifically, there is a battery aimed at the bK with the front piece pinned. In the set play the capture of the front piece checks the wK and is countered by a capture by the rear piece of the battery. The key will make some type of error that abandons this reply but now White exploits the fact that Black self-pins when it checks. This idea can lead to some fantastic keys. Please also see my arcitle in the September 2016 Problemist Supplement. We begin with a classic by Mansfield.
Finally we end with some of my problems that have been published but whose solutions are not yet available. Happy solving!
Leave a Reply.
On the side I like to dabble in chess problem composition. I am mostly interested in two and three move direct mates. I hope to convey the beauty and logic of chess problems with this blog. In the entries are some of my favorite problems and my own problems. Before looking at the problems I suggest reading this introduction to the chess problem world by the British Chess Problem Society. Also, here is a list of terminology and themes. Here is a link to my problems on yacpdb.
1. "Choose wisely" The Problemist Supplement, Sept. 2016
2. "Double checking white in a two mover" StrateGems July 2016
3. "Double check without capture" The Problemist Supplement, January 2018
4. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part I" The Problemist Supplement, March 2018
5. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part II" The Problemist Supplement, May 2018
6. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part III" The Problemist Supplement, July 2018
7. "Castling with half-battery and Fleck themes" StrateGems, July 2018
8. "The Baku Nowotny" StrateGems, January 2019
9. "The Romanian Nowotny with Fleck" The Problemist, March 2019
10. "Mirror Image" The Problemist Supplement, May 2019
11. "White King in Check" Problemas, July 2019
12. "A Simple Mechanism", StrateGems, July 2019
13. "Miniatures with castling and (partial) Fleck" Problemist Supplement, September 2019
14. "Taking the Straitjacket off the Fleck" The Problemist Supplement, November 2019
15. "Unforced threats" The Problemist Supplement, May 2020
16. "Ojanen in Miniature" The Problemist Supplement, May 2020
17. "Developments in the Finnish Nowotny" The Problemist, July 2020
18. "Categorising the Fleck theme" The Problemist, January 2021
19. "Masking the Bristol" The Problemist Supplement, March 2021
20. "My love of the Novotny" StrateGems July 2021
21. "Masked Novotny" The Problemist Supplement, November 2021