My first prize composition
Recently the award from the 2020 The Problemist came in and one of my problems took the top spot. It was an exhilarating feeling to see my artwork honored in such a way. The judge said it was a perfect example of the Zagoruiko theme which is 3 different mate changes for 2 defenses. Below is the problem.
The problem shows anti-critical play with the wS mating on c3 after different self-blocks. There is also Black correction. There are also changes after the initial try 1.Qc3? 1...e5 2.Qd3; 1...Re3 2.Qxe3. A mirrored bK in a light and pleasing setting. Interestingly, I'm still on the fence on whether I should have used the following version which swaps the try 1.Sb4? with the key 1.Rg3! The editor, a grandmaster of composition, said that he prefers Rg3! as the key because it is harder to spot. However, Sb4 has more play and better use of the wQ, so it's somewhat of a toss up. In any case this was one of those magical compositions that gave me a special feeling when it came together.
Leave a Reply.
On the side I like to dabble in chess problem composition. I am mostly interested in two and three move direct mates. I hope to convey the beauty and logic of chess problems with this blog. In the entries are some of my favorite problems and my own problems. Before looking at the problems I suggest reading this introduction to the chess problem world by the British Chess Problem Society. Also, here is a list of terminology and themes. Here is a link to my problems on yacpdb.
1. "Choose wisely" The Problemist Supplement, Sept. 2016
2. "Double checking white in a two mover" StrateGems July 2016
3. "Double check without capture" The Problemist Supplement, January 2018
4. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part I" The Problemist Supplement, March 2018
5. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part II" The Problemist Supplement, May 2018
6. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part III" The Problemist Supplement, July 2018
7. "Castling with half-battery and Fleck themes" StrateGems, July 2018
8. "The Baku Nowotny" StrateGems, January 2019
9. "The Romanian Nowotny with Fleck" The Problemist, March 2019
10. "Mirror Image" The Problemist Supplement, May 2019
11. "White King in Check" Problemas, July 2019
12. "A Simple Mechanism", StrateGems, July 2019
13. "Miniatures with castling and (partial) Fleck" Problemist Supplement, September 2019
14. "Taking the Straitjacket off the Fleck" The Problemist Supplement, November 2019
15. "Unforced threats" The Problemist Supplement, May 2020
16. "Ojanen in Miniature" The Problemist Supplement, May 2020
17. "Developments in the Finnish Nowotny" The Problemist, July 2020
18. "Categorising the Fleck theme" The Problemist, January 2021
19. "Masking the Bristol" The Problemist Supplement, March 2021
20. "My love of the Novotny" StrateGems July 2021
21. "Masked Novotny" The Problemist Supplement, November 2021