A pawn in its game array position (not on the edge of the board) can make 4 possible moves: forward one square, forward two squares and, if the opportunity presents itself, it can capture on the adjacent diagonal squares. In a problem, when a black pawn makes its four possible moves the theme is called a Pickaninny. When a white pawn makes its four possible moves in the course of a problem the theme is called an Albino. We have seen examples of both themes already in the half-pin and AUW posts. As usual we begin with an unpublished problem of my own and then get into some of my favorite examples.
Solution to the first problem: notice that the wQ controls the squares d5 and d6. If these squares are blocked with the bPd7 then the wQ can use this to her advantage. In particular, notice the dual after 1...d5 2.Qf4/Qh2. The key 1.Kg6(-) clears the way for the wQ to handle 1...d6 with 2.Qg5 and gets rid of the dual.
On the side I like to dabble in chess problem composition. I am mostly interested in two and three move direct mates. I hope to convey the beauty and logic of chess problems with this blog. In the entries are some of my favorite problems and my own problems. Before looking at the problems I suggest reading this introduction to the chess problem world by the British Chess Problem Society. Also, here is a list of terminology and themes. Here is a link to my problems on yacpdb.
1. "Choose wisely" The Problemist Supplement, Sept. 2016
2. "Double checking white in a two mover" StrateGems July 2016
3. "Double check without capture" The Problemist Supplement, January 2018
4. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part I" The Problemist Supplement, March 2018
5. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part II" The Problemist Supplement, May 2018
6. "The disappearing Nowotny: Part III" The Problemist Supplement, July 2018
7. "Castling with half-battery and Fleck themes" StrateGems, July 2018
8. "The Baku Nowotny" StrateGems, January 2019
9. "The Romanian Nowotny with Fleck" The Problemist, March 2019
10. "Mirror Image" The Problemist Supplement, May 2019
11. "White King in Check" Problemas, July 2019
12. "A Simple Mechanism", StrateGems, July 2019
13. "Miniatures with castling and (partial) Fleck" Problemist Supplement, September 2019
14. "Taking the Straitjacket off the Fleck" The Problemist Supplement, November 2019
15. "Unforced threats" The Problemist Supplement, May 2020
16. "Ojanen in Miniature" The Problemist Supplement, May 2020
17. "Developments in the Finnish Nowotny" The Problemist, July 2020